
Donald Trump Announces Reduction in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea: What’s Behind the Decision?
Image source, Getty Images
U.S. President Donald Trump has stated that he shares a “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and has announced a significant reduction in joint military drills with South Korea.
In a post on his digital platform Truth Social, Trump revealed that South Korea declined to participate in recent U.S. efforts to make Iran “nuclear weapons-free.”
“These exercises are not only costly, but a large portion is always borne by the United States, and they send a completely inappropriate and hostile message,” he said.
Seoul has stated that these exercises with the U.S. will go ahead as scheduled. Pyongyang has not issued any response so far.
Last month, North Korea conducted tests of ballistic missiles banned by the United Nations.
What Else Did Trump Say?
On Sunday on social media, Trump mentioned that the annual joint military exercise between the United States and South Korea, set to start Monday, is “too late to suspend now.”
“Maybe this is unrelated (?), but I recently asked the South Korean president if he wanted to join us in the nuclear disarmament of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and he said, ‘No thanks, it’s not necessary.'”
Trump’s latest comment came less than 24 hours after he posted an old photo from 2018 with Kim Jong-un on social media.
He noted that although the photo did not appear very friendly, they were good friends.
Image source, EPA/Shutterstock
Last week, senior military officials from the U.S. and South Korea held a joint press conference to provide details about the ‘Ulchi Freedom Shield’ exercise.
According to them, the 11-day exercise will maintain the same level as previous years, with approximately 18,000 South Korean troops participating.
Military leaders at the conference also referenced North Korea sending troops to assist Russia in its war against Ukraine.
Referring to North Korean soldiers returning from the battlefield, U.S. military spokesperson Ryan Donnell said, “Our training also addresses that threat.” There are 28,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea.
On Friday, North Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the joint military exercises as “preparations for an aggressive war.”
What Do Trump’s Statements Imply?
The upcoming exercises follow North Korea’s detection of its second missile test within a few days by South Korea, the U.S., and Japan.
After high-level diplomacy between North Korean leader Kim and President Trump faltered during his first term, Pyongyang has continued expanding its nuclear weapons and missile programs.
Seven years ago, Trump became the first sitting U.S. president to step foot on North Korean soil.
Trump’s sharp social media criticisms of South Korea may reflect his frustration over Seoul’s refusal to contribute direct military or blockade efforts in the U.S.-led conflict with Iran.
He also expressed dissatisfaction that partners like Japan, France, and the U.K. were reluctant to participate in this conflict.
Trump’s decision to reduce the level of military exercises is not unprecedented.
In 2018, amid nuclear disarmament talks with Kim, he suspended the joint drills.
In 2020, the scale was also reduced due to the COVID pandemic.
Last week, South Korean leaders formally proposed talks to their northern neighbor to officially end the technically ongoing war, despite the 1953 armistice.